What happens when a student misses school?
• Missing school significantly and negatively impacts academic achievement. As much as half of the student body misses 10 or more days of school each year.
• Data shows that missing 10 or more days of school will:
– reduce reading scores by 12 points
– reduce math scores by 15 points
– reduce a student’s chances of remaining on track to graduation by 34 percent
Did you know?
• As early as kindergarten, excessive absence can cause children to fall behind.
• Early absences lead to difficulties and poor attendance in later years.
• One in 10 kindergarten and first-grade students nationally is chronically absent, missing a month of school.