Licensure / Certification Information
Things You Need to Know
Ohio Department of Education (ODE) Required Renewal of Credentials
- Renewal is required for all licensure/certifications that expire on June 30th.
- Only online license renewal applications are accepted.
- ODE license renewal process begins November 1st of each year.
- Click on the following link to renew your credentials. https://safe.ode.state.oh.us/portal
Stipends for Lead Professional or Senior Professional Educator License
- CTU members are entitled to a one-time stipend for attainment or first renewal of a Lead Professional Educator or Senior Professional Educator license, if the professional has not already received the stipend.
- If you attain or renew your Lead Professional or Senior Professional Educator license, please send a copy of the license to the following email address to receive payment. firstname.lastname@example.org
Review Your License Information
- View your license information in your Workday profile by choosing Career, then choosing Certifications.
- Ohio law requires that if an individual resides continuously in Ohio, he or she does not need to update the BCI background check, but must obtain an updated FBI check once every five years.
- You may look up the date of your most recent background checks while completing an application for any educator license through the CORE licensure system tool within ODE.CORE.
a. Access via your SAFE account
Renewal Reminder Notices
- You will receive a monthly reminders to take action.
- The reminder will stop once your credential are renewed.
Things You Need to Do
Please read the information below to determine the steps you need to take to renew your credentials.
1. Click the appropriate fact sheet title to download instructions for renewing your credentials and submitting required documentation.
Who Should Use
Teachers, Administrators, and Related Service Providers
Related Service Providers
Substitute Teacher License Renewal Fact Sheet Substitute Teachers
2. Send an email to Licensing@ClevelandMetroSchools.org. if you do not intend to renew your expiring credentials.
A master teacher demonstrates excellence inside and outside of the classroom through consistent leadership and focused collaboration to maximize student learning. A master teacher strives for distinguished teaching and continued professional growth as specified by The Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession.
All Questions concerning Professional Development/CEU transcripts should be directed to the Office of Professional Development.
If you are requesting CEU transcripts through the PD office please make sure you provide them with your original license issue date.
ODE has comprehensive information about licensure. Please check the website for detailed information about acquiring and renewing educator licenses.
Initial Licenses - Use this link below to apply for credentials. http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Apply-for-Certificate-License
The issuance of new licenses is the responsibility of the Ohio Department of Education and your College or University. (You must work through your College or University to obtain your initial license or permit.)
Contact ODE at 877-644-6338 if you experience technical difficulties with ODE's website, or have specific questions about their application or payment process.
IPDP Guide coming soon!
Tracy Radich @ 861-7676 ext. 226
Jim Wagner @ 861-7676 ext. 255
Talent Department Contact
Terresa Franklin - Licensing@clevelandmetroschools.org