Volunteers have a positive impact on
children, schools and our city...
Last year, hundreds of volunteers helped to improve school buildings inside and out, chaperoned field trips, mentored, tutored and motivated our scholars to believe in themselves and achieve academically. Your time and support can change lives.
To become a CMSD volunteer:
- If you are a parent please contact your school principal for available opportunities.
- If you are a community member or community organization and would like to help a school in your neighborhood. You can contact the school directly and make an appointment with the Principal. To locate the school phone number please click here.
- If you are a community member or community organization and would like to serve at a school, however you need assistance selecting a school; please call the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All volunteers must complete a volunteer application process.
- Before registering you are required to have contacted the school/department for available opportunities.
- Parents and Community members (not with an organization) must complete the online Volunteer Electronic Registration. For best results please use CHROME as your web browser.
- If volunteer does not have access to a computer or smart phone, please contact the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337.
- If volunteer is a minor they must complete the Minor Volunteer Registration packet. Please note if minor is volunteering individually for service hours and during school day time hours they must have signature of their school Principal or school staff representative.
Volunteer Registration for Community Partners and their members (two options):
- Community members volunteering with a Community Organization or Corporate Partner must complete the online Volunteer Electronic Registration at the approval of their group's main contact. If you have any questions please check with your group contact.
- If you are the main contact of a community group or corporate partner wanting to serve at a school and take responsibility for the liability and security clearance of your group, download the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration form. If volunteers are under 18 years of age they must fill out the Minor Volunteer Registration packet that will include a parent signature.
To request a volunteer ID badge:
- All volunteers must be identified with a volunteer ID badge indicating the volunteer's security clearance. Badges with a Yellow band indicate that volunteer must be supervised at all times by school staff. Badges with a Green band indicate that volunteer has a higher level of clearance and can work with students independently and/or unsupervised.
- Volunteer badges DO NOT need to be replaced every school year. However, if badges are damaged or lost we can replace. Their is a fee of $5 for a second replacement.
- Volunteer badges must be turned in to the school at the end of the school year. Badges will be returned to the volunteer at the start of the following school year.
- Parents and Community members must go to their school for a badge picture. If you are unsure who at the school is responsible for your badge picture please contact the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337 or email: email@example.com.
- If you volunteer in more than one school building, one badge is sufficient. Make sure that you have indicated in your registration the schools you will be volunteering in.
- Once volunteers are cleared with their security checks badges will be delivered to the school.
Volunteers make a difference by:
- strengthening school programs
- helping to establish parent groups
- sponsoring special events
- serving on a school advisory committee
The Board of Education is committed to promoting community and family engagement to enhance our scholars’ education in a variety of in-school and extracurricular activities.
Judith Lozada, Volunteer Manager
Office of Family and Community Engagement
Start making a difference in our schools today!