Army of Believers presents 19 scholarships (Photo Gallery)
CMSD NEWS BUREAU
More than 600 CMSD supporters packed the ballroom at the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel on Friday, raising money for Army of Believers scholarships and honoring this year’s 19 recipients.
The new District graduates received $5,000 scholarships and laptop computers as they head off to institutions that include Duke, Brown, Penn, Fordham, Case Western Reserve, the Berklee College of Music and the Culinary Institute of America.
The group, selected on the basis of academic performance and community service, was the largest in the scholarship luncheon’s 11-year history. Honorary co-chair August Napoli Jr., president and CEO of the United Way of Greater Cleveland, captured the spirit in the ballroom with his opening remarks.
“We want our student scholars to know their quest for academic and personal achievement is worthwhile,” he said. “You are supported, you are loved and, while the journey may seem challenging at times, you must persevere.”
The luncheon also paid tribute to four “five-star generals” for contributions to the District. The honorees included Dr. Ronald M. Berkman, president emeritus of Cleveland State University; Dr. Kenneth W. Chalker, retired pastor of University Circle United Methodist Church; Dr. Frank A. Fecser, retired CEO of the Positive Education Program; and Dr. Robert L. Haynie, associate dean for student affairs and associate clinical professor emeritus at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
The event’s other co-chair, Marsha A. Mockabee, president and CEO of the Urban League of Greater Cleveland, took a break from the national Urban League conference in Columbus to attend. She led the crowd in a pledge to serve as Believers 365 days a year.
The scholarship winners, their high schools, the colleges they will attend and their majors include:
ARMY OF BELIEVERS SCHOLARSHIP
- Reem Atyeh, International Newcomers Academy, Cuyahoga Community College, ESL, pre-med.
- Rochell Bradley, John Marshall School of Information Technology, Ohio State University, pharmacy.
- Mandy Huynh, MC²STEM, Case Western Reserve University, Engineering.
- Sandy Huynh, MC²STEM, Case Western Reserve University, English.
- Sierra Jones, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, Duke University, undecided.
- Abraham Lopez, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, Cleveland State University, biology.
- Camya Smith, Cleveland Early College High School, chemistry, pre-med.
ARMY OF BELIEVERS COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIP
- Trevor James, Ginn Academy, Ohio State University, criminology.
- Jasline Rosario, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, Cleveland State University, biology, pre-med.
- Kayla Thomas, Cleveland School of the Arts, Fordham University, dance.
CLEVELAND CLINIC SCHOLARSHIP
- Denise McCrory, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Africana and gender.
CLEVELAND FOUNDATION SUPERINTENDENT’S REWARD
- Alice Hardy Evans, Cleveland School of the Arts, Berklee College of Music, music therapy.
- Shaleia Beard-Howard, East Tech High School, Cleveland State University, international business.
- Rebecca DeMoss, James Ford Rhodes High School, Ohio State University, horticulture.
- Jonathan Gardner, Jane Addams Business Careers Center, Culinary Institute of America, culinary arts.
- Amanda Kong, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, Brown University, undecided.
- Herbert Kwofie, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, Miami University, biology.
- Gile Nzitunga, Glenville High School, University of Dayton, electrical engineering.
- Eduardo R. Williams Medina, Cleveland School of Science and Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, biochemistry.