• Licensure


    Things You Need to Know

    Things You Need to Know



    Annual Licensure Renewal Letter

    • Renewal is required for all licensure/certifications that expire on June 30th.
    • Click on the following link to view the Annual Licensure Renewal Letter (1/22) sent each year

    Ohio Department of Education (ODE) Required Renewal of Credentials

    • Renewal is required for all licensure/certifications that expire on June 30th.
    • Only online license renewal applications are accepted.
    • ODE license renewal process begins November 1st of each year.
    • Click on the following link to renew your credentials. https://safe.ode.state.oh.us/portal

    Stipends for Lead Professional or Senior Professional Educator License


    • CTU members are entitled to a one-time stipend for attainment or first renewal of a Lead Professional Educator or Senior Professional Educator license, if the professional has not already received the stipend.
    • If you attain or renew your Lead Professional or Senior Professional Educator license, please send a copy of the license to the following email address to receive payment. licensing@clevelandmetroschools.org 

    Review Your License Information

    • View your certifications in Workday by clicking on your picture and select view profile. Under the career tab select certifications

    Background Checks

    • Ohio law requires that if an individual resides continuously in Ohio, he or she does not need to update the BCI background check, but must obtain an updated FBI check once every five years.
    • You may look up the date of your most recent background checks whole completing an application for any educator license through the CORE licensure system tool within ODE.CORE. This is accessible through your OH ID Account. Please contact the Safety and Security department for more details on how to obtain background checks.

    Renewal Reminder Notices

    • You will receive a monthly reminders to take action. 
    • The reminder will stop once your credential are renewed.


    Things You Need to Do

    Please read the information below to determine the steps you need to take to renew your credentials.

    1. Click the appropriate fact sheet title to download instructions for renewing your credentials and submitting required documentation.

    Things you need to Do


    Who Should Use

    License Renewal Fact Sheet

    Teachers, Administrators, and Related Service Providers

    Paraprofessional Certification Renewal Fact Sheet

    CMSD Paraprofessionals

    Pupil Services License Renewal Fact Sheet

    Related Service Providers

    Pupil Activity (Coaching) Permit Renewal Fact Sheet

    Coaching Staff

    Substitute Teacher License Renewal Fact Sheet

     Substitute Teachers

    2.  Send an email to Licensing@ClevelandMetroSchools.org. if you do not intend to renew your expiring credentials.



    Quick Links

    Quick Links



    Master Teacher Information

    A master teacher demonstrates excellence inside and outside of the classroom through consistent leadership and focused collaboration to maximize student learning. A master teacher strives for distinguished teaching and continued professional growth as specified by The Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession. 

    Office of Professional Development

    All questions concerning Professional Development/CEU transcripts should be directed to the Office of Professional Development at opd@clevelandmetroschools.org.

    Please use this link to view your transcripts at any time. Please be reminded that the Ohio Department of Education requires that you have an approved IPDP before CEU's are eligible to account for your renewal. If you are renewing your five (5) Year License, only those professional development hours earned after your approval of your IPDP can count towards license renewal requirements. 

    The Ohio Department of Education

    ODE has comprehensive information about licensure. Please check the website for detailed information about acquiring and renewing educator licenses.

    Initial Licenses - Use this link below to apply for credentials. http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Apply-for-Certificate-License

    The issuance of new licenses is the responsibility of the Ohio Department of Education and your College or University. (You must work through your College or University to obtain your initial license or permit.)

    Contact ODE at 877-644-6338 if you experience technical difficulties with ODE's website, or have specific questions about their application or payment process.

    Individual Professional Development Plan (eIPDP)

    IPDP Portal

    IPDP Help Guide


    Contact Information

    CTU Contacts

    Tracy Radich @ 861-7676 ext. 226

    Jim Wagner @ 861-7676 ext. 255


    Talent Department Contact