PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT POLICY
School Parent and Family Engagement Policy
School Year: 2019-20
In support of strengthening student academic achievement, (Whitney M. Young High School ) receives Title I, Part A funds and therefore must jointly develop with, agree on with, and distribute to parents and family members of participating children a written parent and family engagement policy, agreed on by such parents, that shall describe the means of carrying out the requirements of The Every Students Succeeds Act (ESSA) Section 1116. Parents shall be notified of the policy in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, provided in a language the parents can understand. Such policy shall be made available to the local community and updated periodically to meet the changing needs of the parents and the school. The policy establishes the school’s expectations for parent and family engagement and describes how the school will implement a number of specific parental and family engagement activities.
Whitney M. Young High School understands that parent and family engagement means the participation of parents and families in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring:
- Parents and families play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning
- Parents and families are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school
- Parents and families are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child
Whitney M. Young High School agrees to implement the following requirements as outlined by ESSA Section 1116:
- ANNUAL TITLE I MEETING
Whitney M. Young High School will take the following actions to conduct an annual meeting, at a convenient time, and encourage and invite all parents of participating children to attend to inform them about the school’s Title I program, the nature of the Title I program, the parents’ requirements, the school parental involvement policy, the schoolwide plan, and the school-parent compact.
Whitney M. Young High School will host the Title I Part A Meeting in September of 2019
- The Title I Part A Meeting will be held during Open House
- Parents will receive information on Building expectations for the new school year, and information on Whitney M. Young High School Individual programs, and CMSD Initiatives.
- FLEXIBLE NUMBER OF MEETINGS
Whitney M. Young High School will offer a flexible number of engagement meetings at convenient times for families, such as meetings in the morning or evening (for which the school may use Title I funds to provide transportation, child care or home visits, as such services relate to parental involvement).
Whitney M. Young High School will host Various Parent Meetings, and Family Nights.
- JOINTLY DEVELOPED
Whitney M. Young High School will take the following actions to engage parents and families in an organized, ongoing, and timely way, in the planning, review, and improvement of programs under Title I, Part A, including the planning, review, and improvement of the school parent and family engagement policy and the joint development of the schoolwide program plan.
Whitney M. Young High School will utilize
Members of Whitney M. Young High School School Parent Organization will be invited to participate in the schools Family Engagement Committee to plan programing for parents based on the parent’s, and scholar’s needs, and the Academic Achievement Plan Priorities.
Whitney M. Young High School will provide parents of participating children timely information about programs under Title I, including:
- a description and explanation of the curriculum in use,
- forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress,
- achievement levels of the challenging State academic standards, and
- if requested by parents, opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children and respond to any such suggestions as soon as practicable possible.
Information related to the school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities, will be sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand.
Whitney M. Young High School will take the following actions to communicate effectively with our families about upcoming Title I events, and other school related activities:
- Personal Invitations to parents about upcoming Family activities, and things that are occurring at the school.
- Whitney M. Young High School will also send home Parent letters, which will list events to keep parents informed about upcoming testing, family activities, and days schools will be closed.
- DISSENSION PROCESS
Whitney M. Young High School will submit any comments/concerns to the CMSD Office of Family and Community Engagement if the schoolwide plan and/or parent and family engagement policy is not satisfactory to parents.
Any comments/concerns can be emailed to the Executive Director of Family and Community Engagement, Tracy Hill, at email@example.com.
- SCHOOL-PARENT COMPACT
Whitney M. Young High School will take the following actions to jointly develop with parents of participating children a school-parent compact that outlines how families, school, staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and develop a partnership to help children achieve the state’s high standard and how the plan is used, reviewed, and updated.
- BUILD CAPACITY OF PARENTS
Whitney M. Young High School will build the parents’ capacity for strong parental engagement to ensure effective engagement of parents and families and to support a partnership among the school and the community to improve student academic achievement through the following:
- Materials and training to help parents to work with their child to improve their child’s achievement, such as literacy training and using technology (including education about the harms of copyright piracy), as appropriate, to foster parental involvement
- Provide assistance to parents of participating children, as appropriate, in understanding topics such as the following:
- the State’s academic content standards,
- the State’s student academic achievement standards,
- the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
- the requirements of Title I, Part A,
- how to monitor their child’s progress, and
- how to work with educators to improve the achievement of their children.
- Educate school personnel, specialized instructional support personnel, principals, and other school leaders, and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of the contributions of parents, and in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, implement and coordinate parent programs, and build ties between parents and the school.
- Coordinate and integrate parental and family engagement programs and activities with other Federal, State, and local programs, including public preschool programs, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents and families to fully participate in the education of their children.
Whitney M. Young High School will host various Family Events to engage families in the Education of their scholars, and to communicate school priorities, and academic Standards.
Whitney M. Young High School in carrying out the parent and family engagement requirements of this part, to the extent practicable, shall provide full opportunities, for the participation of parents and family members (including parents and family members with limited English proficiency, parents and family members with disabilities, and parents and family members of migratory children), including providing information and school reports required under section 1111 in a format, and to the extent practicable, in a language such parents understand.
Whitney M. Young High School will provide materials, in a format that is accessible to all stakeholders in the school community.
This School Parent and Family Engagement Policy has been developed jointly with, and agreed on with, parents of children participating in Title I, Part A programs.
This policy was adopted by the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and will be in effect for the period of (School Year). The school will distribute this policy to all parents of participating Title I, Part A children on or before May 1, 2019.