The Cleveland Board of Education has agreed to deed the former Henry W. Longfellow School on East 140th Street to a company that plans to make the historic building part of a senior-housing development.
In return, the city will give CMSD a parcel near Wade Park School. The District wants to use the parcel for parking, alleviating a shortage for the school.
The swap will spare the District the cost of demolishing Longfellow, saving an estimated $425,000.
The Connecticut-based Vesta Corp. plans to convert the former school into 30 senior apartments. The company also intends to build 63 to 69 additional units.
The Cleveland Restoration Society had called for preserving the Longfellow building, which dates to 1924.