• Financial Aid and Scholarships

    Bard High School Early College Cleveland is a tuition-free public school. Through the College Transfer Office, we help students navigate the financial aid process as they prepare to transfer to a four-year institution.

    Sources of Financial Aid

    Grants are funds, often awarded by colleges or universities, that do not need to be paid back. Students do not need to complete an application for grant monies. Federal and state grants, such as Pell and TAP, are also available.

    Work Study is a federal program that gives students financial assistance through campus employment.

    Loans are a form of financial aid that must be paid back after graduation. Below is a list of loan providers:
    • Stafford Loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized. In the case of subsidized loans, the government pays the interest while a student is in school. For unsubsidized loans, the student pays the interest on the loan and can defer payment until after graduation. Stafford Loans are awarded based on financial need.
    • Perkins Loans are awarded to students with exceptional financial need.
    • PLUS Parent Loans are awarded to parents and have an interest rate higher than that of the unsubsidized Stafford Loans.
    • Private Loans

    Applying for Financial Aid

    • FAFSA – The Free Application for Federal Student Aid must be filed by all Year 2 students applying for financial aid. The FAFSA can be filed as early as January 1 of Year 2 and we encourage families to file by January 15 or February 1 at the latest. Students can enter up to six schools on the FAFSA. Additional schools can be added by using the FAFSA correction form.
    • CCS – The CSS is an additional financial aid form that is required by many private colleges. The form must be filed in addition to the FAFSA. It can be filed as early as October. To find out if a particular school requires the CSS, please check with the individual college.
    • Scholarships – Scholarships are awarded by schools and organizations. Students must search for and apply for different scholarships on their own.