Great Lakes Science Center is Hiring Teachers for Spring Break Camp!
Job Title: Camp Curiosity Teacher (Seasonal)
Revised: February 12, 2019
Department: STEM Learning
Reports to: Operations Manager
Direct reports: None
Expected Hours of Work: Spring Break Camps are Monday, March 25-Friday, March 29 – Candidate must be available at least one full day 8am-4:30pm to teach and for training on Wednesday March 13th from 5:30-7:30 PM. Teachers could also be scheduled for before care 7:15am-8am or after care 4:00pm-5:30pm.
Working collaboratively with the STEM Learning Department, Camp Curiosity teachers will provide creative, interactive, hands-on instruction for youth through our Camp Curiosity educational program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Facilitating multi-grade STEM activities for campers K-8th
- Creating fun, interactive, and effective STEM learning opportunities for all campers
- Prepping all lesson plans, including reading curriculum in advance, and creating an immersive classroom environment
- Establishing high expectations for performance and engagement
- Conducting him/herself with high levels of professionalism and appropriateness at all times
- Maintaining classroom safety and disciplinary control
- Interacting with parents as needed
- Observing established program standards, policies and procedures
- Completing curriculum reports and providing constructive and timely feedback
- Setting up and cleaning up instructional areas
- Communicate with Ops about daily camper activities for daily email to parents
- Provide operational support during camper check in/check out
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Please note that this position requires working outdoors for prolonged periods in varied weather conditions, frequently climbing narrow stairwells and occasionally lifting heavy objects such as supply bins and demonstration props. It may also include working with chemicals and gases including but not limited to liquid nitrogen, dry ice, nitric acid, hydrogen, and oxygen. Training will be provided.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- Must have an active Teacher’s license
- Must be energized and excited to share the experience of science with children entering Pre-K through 8th grades.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of GLSC to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) free from illegal discrimination, harassment and retaliation to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religious affiliation, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, immigration status, age, source of income, familial status, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, disability or any other basis protected by applicable law. GLSC complies with applicable state, federal and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.