In the fall of 2022, Cleveland Metropolitan School District received an unrestricted gift of $20,000,000.00 from Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott. These funds, which will be managed by the Cleveland Foundation, will be distributed annually at no more than $4,000,000.00/year over the next five years.
Have a good idea?
Do you have a vision for making your school, your building, your department, your division, or your CMSD experience better for all? We want to hear from you! Apply now to receive support for your idea.
To be considered in the July application review, the deadline is June 15 @ 5:00 PM.
For winning proposals, funds will be made directly to sponsoring departments or schools.
Three general purposes:
- Scholar Opportunities
- Educator Opportunities
- One-time Investment Opportunities
Scholar Opportunities, such as:
- Global Travel
- Summer Travel (e.g., summer camps on college campuses, etc.)
- College Visits / SYTE College Visit Flights
- Arts – trips for performances, etc.
- 8th grade Washington D.C. trips
- Drivers' education/license costs
Educator Opportunities, such as:
- Tuition support for education-related degrees/credentials
- Upskill opportunities for employees
- Investments in organizational learning
- CMSD, Equity, and Me support
- Employee Resource Groups
- Principal sabbaticals
- CEO/Senior Staff Professional Development
One-time Student/Community Facing Opportunities, such as:
- Athletics: Field/track/facility improvements, lighting, screens, video or instant replay equipment, etc.
- Arts: School practice and performance space improvements and renovations, updated equipment or studios, musical instruments, etc.
- Large Expenditure / Capital Investments (e.g., science labs, signage for new culinary restaurant, CTE equipment, etc.)
These funds are not intended to supplant other dollars (e.g., operational dollars, LFI capital). The Board reserves the right to amend the spending plan (timing and purposes) by way of a future resolution receiving support by majority vote of the Board
If you have any questions, please email Leo Serrano, Executive Director of Institutional Advancement (getmorestdntoppfund@ClevelandMetroSchools.org)