Welcome to Whitney M. Young PreK-8 School
At Whitney Young, students prosper in a positive, child-centered environment. Faculty and staff collaborate with students' families to help students achieve academic success and build strong cognitive, social and creative skills.Whitney Young offers:
- Personalized Learning Model that focuses on the invidivual scholar
- Rigourous online and virtual lerning programs
- Integrated and problem-based learning
- VILS program which will provides each scholar from grades 5-8 an I-pad for educational use
- Services for students with mild to moderate learning and behavior issues, including five classrooms for students with multiple disabilities or autism, one classroom for emotionally disturbed students and a special education preschool unit.
- Lunchtime mentoring opportunities which helps improve students' attendance, academic attitude, social skills and self esteem
- A focus on restorative practices and emotional learning to reduce the out-of-school suspension rate
- Beautiful, newly built state of the art campus
- Friendly and hard working staff to meet the needs of our scholars
Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences will take place next Wednesday, November 18th from 1:20 to 5:00. Each educator will indicate if the conferences will take place on Microsoft Teams or Zoom for their class. Begin signing up with your child's teacher with a time that works best for you. The 15-20 minute conference is your opportunity to learn about the academic and behavior achievement, engagement in virtual learning and personalized learning goals of your scholar. Other accommodations with the teachers can be made if this day and time does not work for you. Communicate the conflict and make arrangements with the teacher, if necessary. We are looking forward to discussing the growth our our Whitney M. Young Scholars as our first marking period comes to an end. "We are the Warriors"!
ATTENTION SCHOLARS IN GRADES 5-8!!
Whitney M Young received a grant from Verizon that will give each scholar in grades 5-8 only, a brand new ipad. Each scholar in these grades will have an opportunity to switch out their device on Wednesday October 14 from 10:00-5:00 and Wednesday October 21st from 10:00- 5:00. This ipad distribution will take place in the cafeteria. Students must come in with their parent in order to complete the full registration of the device. Bring your other device to switch out. The complete process will take up to 25 minutes. Please take advantage of this opportunity. The ipad will come fully loaded with educational apps that are focused on our middle school and 5th grade scholars. Temperatures will be checked at the front entrance and masks are required. For further information, please reach out to your teacher.