Volunteers have a positive impact on
children, schools and our city...
Last year, hundreds of volunteers helped to improve school buildings inside and out, chaperoned field trips, mentored, tutored and motivated our scholars to believe in themselves and achieve academically. Your time and support can change lives.
Current Status of CMSD Volunteer Program:
Due to the COVID-19 protocols in place, volunteers are not permitted to serve in school buildings until further notice.
CMSD has approved new guidelines for virtual volunteers:
- All virtual volunteers are required to follow the existing Volunteer Registration guidelines for individual or group volunteers.
- If you are interested in virtual volunteering, contact your school’s Volunteer Lead or Coordinator for opportunities.
- If you are a registered CMSD Volunteer and have selected a virtual volunteer opportunity at your school, you will need to confirm your security clearance. Please email Volunteer Manager (contact info below) with your full name, school name and a short description of your virtual volunteer service.
- If you have not previously registered or you lead a community group of volunteers please contact Volunteer Manager (contact info below).
- Volunteers who are working virtually with a teacher or school staff are required to have a low-level security check on file with CMSD Volunteer Office.*
- Volunteers who are working virtually under limited teacher or school staff supervision are required to have a BCI/FBI security check on file with CMSD Volunteer Office.
- The District recommends, where feasible, to have a second adult as a monitor during one on one sessions. Where this is not feasible we recommend one on one sessions be recorded with parental consent.
- Volunteers cannot require students to share, display themselves, or be visible through video. Facilitators can encourage students to share, display themselves, or be visible through their video, but to protect students’ psychological and emotional safety, students can choose to turn their video on and off at will (as long as it is not a distraction to others).
To become a CMSD volunteer:
- Contact the school of choice for available opportunities or complete the electronic Volunteer Application Form (English) or (Spanish).
- Volunteer Application is your request to serve with CMSD. Once the school accepts your intent of service you will receive a link to complete your Volunteer Registration and security clearance information.
- For examples of volunteers opportunities with their required security clearance and cost click here.
- If you are a community member or community organization and would like to help a school in your neighborhood. You can contact the school directly and make an appointment with the Principal or staff who oversees volunteers. To locate the school phone number please click here.
- Complete a volunteer application process (English) or (Spanish).
- The Volunteer Application is the request of your intent to volunteer. You should not consider yourself registered.
- Before applying it is recommended to contact the school/department for available volunteer opportunities.
- If volunteer does not have access to a computer or smart phone, please contact the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337.
- If volunteer is a minor they must complete the Minor Volunteer Application packet, once completed scan and send to email@example.com. Please note if minor is volunteering individually for service hours and during school day time hours they must have signature of their school Principal or school staff representative.
- Once School Administrator has accepted and confirm the parent or community volunteer a Volunteer Registration link will be sent with security clearance instructions.
- Volunteers cannot begin service until security clearances are completed. Volunteers will receive notification by email.
Volunteer Registration for Community Partners and their members (two options):
- The Main Contact of a Community Partner Group must complete a SQS form (Student Quality of Service here.
- Volunteer group members will not register through the Volunteer Registration portal unless indicated by the Volunteer Manager. Please provide us the volunteer information listed on this spreadsheet.
- If volunteer group members require a low level security check and wish to complete through CMSD, the cost per volunteer is $5. Please contact the Manager of Volunteers for details.
- If you are the main contact of a community group or corporate partner wanting to serve at a school and you are an authorized employee to be responsible for the liability and security clearance of the employees interested in volunteering at CMSD, download the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration form. This form only applies to employees volunteering with a community partner.
- Organizations & Corporate partners are responsible for completing the required security checks and verifying that their employees volunteering with CMSD have not been convicted or pled guilty to an offense listed on the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration (within appropriate timeframes, if applicable). If you have questions regarding this, please contact the Volunteer Manager.
- All parent and individual volunteers are subject to a low-level security check at the moment of registration. Once you have completed the electronic registration and selected the volunteer function you will be notified what security clearance you will be required to complete. The cost of this security check is FREE.
- The main contact of a Community Group/Organization is responsible of ensuring that their members have completed the required security checks (low-level or high-level check) and provide the date of security check approval of each group member as part of the registration process and approval. Please contact volunteer manager with questions.
- If your volunteer service requires a state and federal clearance (BCI/FBI check), this check can be obtained through our Safety and Security Department. For scheduling details please click here.
- Volunteers are responsible to follow up with this office for results, due to privacy laws you must request results to be sent to the Volunteer Manager. Please be aware the cost is $47.25 (FBI $25.25/BCI $22.00) payable by money order.
- The BCI/FBI checks can also be completed at your local police station or in select DMV locations.
- Please mail results indicating the volunteer location (school/department) and community group (if applicable) to: CMSD District Manager of Volunteers (view contact information below).
Volunteer ID badge:
- Only parents will be provided with a card badge. Community volunteers will be identified with the printed badge given to them when signing in the security system.
- All volunteers must be identified while serving in the school.
- Parents, while you wait for your card badge you will be provided with the ID name tag printed from our security system, indicating the security clearance.
- Badges with a function (job) and Yellow indicate that volunteer has a low level security check and must be supervised at all times by school staff.
- Badges with a function (job) and Green indicate that volunteer has a higher level security check (fingerprints are provided) and can work with students with limited staff supervision.
- Volunteer card badges DO NOT need to be replaced every school year. However, if badges are damaged or lost we can replace them. There is a fee of $5 after a second replacement.
- If you volunteer in more than one school building, make sure that you have indicated in your registration the schools where you will volunteering.
- Once volunteers are cleared with their security checks and have their badges they can begin serving at the school.
To enter a school building to volunteer you will need:
- During school day and due to COVID-19 restrictions, we ask that you call in advance for an appointment.
- A mask is required for all visitors who wish to enter a CMSD building.
- Please provide a legal form of identification at the school office: driver's license, state ID, passport, etc. to check-in with the front office staff of the school building.
- Your CMSD issued Volunteer ID badge, serves to identify you once you have entered the school building.
- A sunny disposition!
Volunteers must comply with the following:
- All student records are considered confidential.
- Directory information including the student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially-recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received and previous educational agencies or institutions attended, can only be shared with administrative approval.
- Volunteers may not discuss or repeat information overheard while in the staff lounge, classrooms, offices, school grounds, hallways, school or extra-curricular activities.
- Volunteers may not discuss information obtained while in a classroom, such as a student's grade or behavior, with anyone other than the student's teacher or the building principal.
- Concerns or questions regarding student records or issues of confidentiality should be brought to the attention of the staff member responsible for supervising your activities and/or the building principal.
- Volunteers may not take pictures, videos or feature students on any form of media, unless this is part of the volunteer's designated function at the school.
- Any knowledge of a violation of these provisions must be immediately reported to the staff member responsible for supervising volunteer activities and/or the building principal.
- All volunteer functions (jobs) are assigned a clearance level indicated on the CMSD's Volunteer webpage located on the first bullet point (https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/Page/537).
Volunteers make a difference by:
- Strengthening school programs
- Helping to establish parent groups
- Sponsoring special events
- Serving on a school advisory committee
The Board of Education is committed to promoting community and family engagement to enhance our scholars’ education in a variety of in-school and extracurricular activities.
Judith Lozada, Volunteer Manager
Office of Family and Community Engagement
1349 E. 79th Street, Room 228, Cleveland, Ohio 44104
Start making a difference in our schools today!