Volunteers have a positive impact on
children, schools and our city...
Last year, hundreds of volunteers helped to improve school buildings inside and out, chaperoned field trips, mentored, tutored and motivated our scholars to believe in themselves and achieve academically. Your time and support can change lives.
To become a CMSD volunteer:
- If you are a parent please contact your school principal for available opportunities.
- If you are a community member or community organization and would like to help a school in your neighborhood. You can contact the school directly and make an appointment with the Principal. To locate the school phone number please click here.
- If you are a community member or community organization and would like to serve at a school, however you need assistance selecting a school; please call the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337.
- Volunteer Registrations will begin for the new school year on August 1st. and close on May 10th of every school year.
- All volunteers must complete a volunteer application process.
- Before registering you are required to have contacted the school/department for available opportunities.
- Parents and Community members must complete the online Volunteer Electronic Registration.
- If volunteer does not have access to a computer or smart phone, please contact the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337.
- If volunteer is a minor they must complete the Minor Volunteer Registration packet. Please note if minor is volunteering individually for service hours and during school day time hours they must have signature of their school Principal or school staff representative.
Volunteer Registration for Community Partners and their members (two options):
- Employees with a Community Organization or Corporate Partner must complete the online Volunteer Electronic Registration at the approval of their group's main contact. If you have any questions please check with your group contact.
- If you are the main contact of a community group or corporate partner wanting to serve at a school and you are an authorized employee to be responsible for the liability and security clearance of the employees interested in volunteering at CMSD, download the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration.
- Organizations & Corporate partners are responsible for completing the required security checks and verifying that their employees volunteering with CMSD have not been convicted or pled guilty to an offense listed on the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration (within appropriate timeframes, if applicable). If you have questions regarding this, please contact the Volunteer Manager.
- All parent and individual volunteers are subject to a low-level security check at the moment of registration. Once you have completed the electronic registration and selected the volunteer function you will be notified what security clearance you will be required to complete.
- The main contact of a Community Group/Organization is responsible of overseeing that their members have completed the required security checks (low-level or high-level check) and provide a copy of check results of each group member as part of the registration process and approval.
- If your volunteer service requires a state and federal clearance (BCI/FBI check), this check can be obtained through our Safety and Security Department. Volunteers are responsible to follow up with this office for results and must request results to be sent to the Volunteer Manager. Please be aware the cost is $47.25 (FBI $25.25/BCI $22.00) payable by money order on the following days, times and location:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
9:00 am - 11:00 am / 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
1349 E. 79th Street, Room #125, Cleveland, OH 44103/Ph:(216) 838-0420
- The BCI/FBI checks can also be completed at your local police station or in select DMV locations.
- Please mail results indicating the volunteer location (school/department) and community group (if applicable) to: CMSD District Manager of Volunteers (view contact information below).
To request a volunteer ID badge:
- All volunteers must be identified with a volunteer ID badge indicating the volunteer's security clearance. Badges with a Yellow band indicate that volunteer must be supervised at all times by school staff. Badges with a Green band indicate that volunteer has a higher level of clearance and can work with students independently and/or unsupervised.
- Volunteer badges DO NOT need to be replaced every school year. However, if badges are damaged or lost we can replace them. There is a fee of $5 for a replacement.
- Volunteer badges must be turned in to the school at the end of the school year. Badges will be returned to the volunteer at the start of the following school year.
- Parents and Community members must go to their school for a badge picture. If you are unsure who at the school is responsible for your badge picture please contact the Manager of Volunteers at 216.838.0337 or email: email@example.com.
- If you volunteer in more than one school building, one badge is sufficient. Make sure that you have indicated in your registration the schools where you will volunteer.
- Once volunteers are cleared with their security checks badges will be delivered to the school.
Volunteers make a difference by:
- strengthening school programs
- helping to establish parent groups
- sponsoring special events
- serving on a school advisory committee
The Board of Education is committed to promoting community and family engagement to enhance our scholars’ education in a variety of in-school and extracurricular activities.
Judith Lozada, Volunteer Manager
Office of Family and Community Engagement
Start making a difference in our schools today!