Volunteers have a positive impact on
children, schools and our city...
Current Status of CMSD Volunteer Program:
Volunteers will be permitted to serve in school buildings, however due to COVID-19 protocols regarding number of individuals/space availability may limit volunteer opportunities.
CMSD has approved new guidelines for virtual volunteers:
- All virtual volunteers are required to follow the existing Volunteer Registration guidelines for individual or group volunteers.
- Volunteers who are working virtually with a teacher or school staff are required to have a low-level security check on file with CMSD Volunteer Office.*
- Volunteers who are working virtually under limited teacher or school staff supervision are required to have a BCI/FBI security check on file with CMSD Volunteer Office.
- The District recommends, where feasible, to have a second adult as a monitor during one on one sessions. Where this is not feasible we recommend one on one sessions be recorded with parental consent.
- Volunteers cannot require students to share, display themselves, or be visible through video. Facilitators can encourage students to share, display themselves, or be visible through their video, but to protect students’ psychological and emotional safety, students can choose to turn their video on and off at will (as long as it is not a distraction to others).
To become a CMSD volunteer:
- Contact the school of choice for available opportunities or complete the electronic Volunteer Application Form (English – Español).
- Volunteer Application is your request to serve with CMSD. Once the school accepts your intent of service you will receive a link to complete your Volunteer Registration and security clearance information.
- For examples of volunteers opportunities with their required security clearance and cost click here.
- If you are a community member or community organization and would like to help a school in your neighborhood. You can contact the school directly and make an appointment with the Principal or staff who oversees volunteers. To locate the school phone number please click here.
- Volunteers cannot begin service until security clearances are completed. Volunteers will receive notification by email for low-level security checks. If you are required to complete a finger print check (FBI/BCI) and complete this check with CMSD Safety and Security Office (view details below), please follow up with the office for results.
Volunteer Registration for Minors:
- If volunteer is a minor they must complete the Minor Volunteer Application packet, once completed scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note if minor is volunteering individually for service hours and during school day time hours they must have signature of their school Principal or school staff representative.
- Once School Administrator has accepted and confirm the parent or community volunteer a Volunteer Registration link will be sent with security clearance instructions.
- Volunteers cannot begin service until security clearances are completed. Volunteers will receive notification by email.
Volunteer Registration for Community Partners and their members (two options):
- The Main Contact of a Community Partner Group must complete a SQS form (Student Quality of Service here.
- Please provide us with the volunteer information listed on this spreadsheet.
- If volunteer group members require a low level security check and wish to complete through CMSD, the cost per volunteer is $5. Please contact the Manager of Volunteers (view contact info below) for details.
- If you are the main contact of a community group or corporate partner wanting to serve at a school and you are an authorized employee to be responsible for the liability and security clearance of the employees interested in volunteering at CMSD, download the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration form. This form only applies to employees of a community partner volunteering with CMSD.
- Organizations & Corporate partners are responsible for completing the required security checks and verifying that their employees volunteering with CMSD have not been convicted or pled guilty to an offense listed on the Community & Corporate Partner Volunteer Registration (within appropriate timeframes, if applicable). If you have questions regarding this, please contact the Volunteer Manager.
- All parent and individual volunteers are subject to a low-level security check at the moment of registration unless service requires a finger print check (FBI/BCI). Once you have completed the electronic application and selected the volunteer function you will be notified what security clearance you will be required to complete.
- The cost of the low-level security check is FREE to Parents and Individual Volunteers.
- The main contact of a Community Group/Organization is responsible of ensuring that their members have completed the required security checks (low-level or high-level check) and provide the date of security check approval of each group member as part of the registration process and approval. Please contact volunteer manager with questions.
- If your volunteer service requires a state and federal clearance (BCI/FBI check), this check can be obtained through our Safety and Security Department. For scheduling details please click here.
- Volunteers are responsible to follow up with this office for results, due to privacy laws you must request results to be sent to the Volunteer Manager. Please be aware the cost is $47.25 (FBI $25.25/BCI $22.00) payable by money order.
- The BCI/FBI checks can also be completed at your local police station or in select DMV locations.
- Please mail results indicating the volunteer location (school/department) and community group (if applicable) to: CMSD District Manager of Volunteers (view contact information below).
Volunteer ID badge:
- All volunteers must be identified while serving in the school.
- Upon arrival at the school please check in with school office where you will sign-in for your Volunteer Service. Please have your state issued ID ready to present to school staff.
- Badges with a function (job) and Yellow indicate that volunteer has a low level security check and must be supervised at all times by school staff.
- Badges with a function (job) and Green indicate that volunteer has a higher level security check (fingerprints are provided) and can work with students with limited staff supervision.
- If you volunteer in more than one school building, make sure that you have indicated in your registration the schools where you will volunteering. Volunteers are not automatically registered to serve in all schools.
- Once volunteers are cleared with their security checks they can begin serving at the school.
To enter a school building to volunteer you will need:
- During school day and due to COVID-19 restrictions, we ask that you call in advance for an appointment.
- A mask is required for all visitors who wish to enter a CMSD building.
- All Volunteers must provide a legal form of identification at the school office: driver's license, state ID, passport, etc. to check-in with the front office staff of the school building.
- Your CMSD issued Volunteer ID badge, only serves to identify you once you have entered the school building.
- A sunny disposition!
Volunteers must comply with the following:
- All student records are considered confidential.
- Directory information including the student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially-recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received and previous educational agencies or institutions attended, can only be shared with administrative approval.
- Volunteers may not discuss or repeat information overheard while in the staff lounge, classrooms, offices, school grounds, hallways, school or extra-curricular activities.
- Volunteers may not discuss information obtained while in a classroom, such as a student's grade or behavior, with anyone other than the student's teacher or the building principal.
- Concerns or questions regarding student records or issues of confidentiality should be brought to the attention of the staff member responsible for supervising your activities and/or the building principal.
- Volunteers may not take pictures, videos or feature students on any form of media, unless this is part of the volunteer's designated function at the school.
- Any knowledge of a violation of these provisions must be immediately reported to the staff member responsible for supervising volunteer activities and/or the building principal.
- All volunteer functions (jobs) are assigned a clearance level indicated on the CMSD's Volunteer webpage located on the first bullet point (https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/Page/537).
Volunteers make a difference by:
- Strengthening school programs
- Helping to establish parent groups
- Sponsoring special events
- Serving on a school advisory committee
The Board of Education is committed to promoting community and family engagement to enhance our scholars’ education in a variety of in-school and extracurricular activities.
Judith Lozada, Volunteer Manager
Office of Family and Community Engagement
1349 E. 79th Street, Room 228, Cleveland, Ohio 44104
Start making a difference in our schools today!