The Cleveland Metropolitan School District is committed to providing safe and supportive schools where students can succeed and thrive.
In addition to the Hardware we employ to ensure safe schools—surveillance cameras, metal detectors, x-ray machines, wands, etc.—CMSD is committed to addressing the social and emotional element of school safety, to head off safety incidents before they occur.
Humanware/SEL advocates for best practices that ensure that all human resources in a child's school, family and community function together so that students are learning in safe, supportive and successful schools.
HUMANWARE/SEL Strategies designed to improve school climates:
- Provide positive behavioral support
- Develop early-intervention strategies
- Promote anti-bullying initiatives
- Foster community-service partnerships
- Improve collaboration between schools & agencies
- Enhance the partnership between schools & families
- Further develop Student Support Teams, collaborative problem-solving groups, which include administrators, teachers and student-support personnel
- Promote PATHS and Planning Centers
- Provide a coordinated sequence for developing social and emotional competencies according to the Social and Emotional Learning section of the District's Scope and Sequence Manual.
Key Components of CMSD’s Humanware Initiative
- Community service partnerships that support staff, students and families
- Early intervention strategies
- Evidence-based programs and best practices PATHS
- Planning Centers Quality Standards
Denine A. Goolsby M.Ed., Executive Director