CMSD and Charter School Sponsorship
One of the ways CMSD works with high-quality charter schools is as a charter school sponsor, also known as authorizer. Charter school sponsors enter into a contract with the governing board of charter schools. The contract outlines the obligations of both parties.
Sponsors have legal obligations to provide sufficient technical assistance and oversight and monitoring. Sponsors must ensure that the schools meet all legally mandated fiscal, academic, and operational requirements.
CMSD currently sponsors 11 charter schools. Nine of these are part of the Breakthrough Schools Network. CMSD also sponsors Stonebrook Montessori and Promise Academy, a dropout recovery school.
Download our Annual Reports
Information and Resources for Schools Seeking SponsorshipWe have a rigorous application process based upon principles and standards developed by the National Association of Charter School Authorizers. All charter schools sponsored by CMSD are considered partners with CMSD and thus qualify for a portion of levy funds that the District shares with charter schools.
- 2018-19 Application Kit for Community Schools (pdf)
- 2018-19 Reviewer Kit for Charter School Applications (pdf)
- Budget for application (xls)
If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie Klupinski (Stephanie.Klupinski@clevelandmetroschools.org).
Please also note that recent changes in Ohio law may impact whether CMSD can sponsor new or additional schools. All sponsors in Ohio are evaluated annually by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) through a sponsor performance review. The results of the review must be published between October 1 and October 15 of each year. Sponsors that are rated ineffective are prohibited from sponsoring new or additional schools during the time the sponsor is rated ineffective. CMSD’s current rating is Effective based on the results published on November 15, 2017.
Any questions about the application process should be directed to Stephanie Klupinski, Executive Director of Charter Schools. She can be reached at 216-838-0179 or Stephanie.Klupinski@clevelandmetroschools.org.
Information and Resources for CMSD-Sponsored Schools
- Understanding the Roles and Responsibilities of Sponsors and Schools (pdf) - OACSA
- Performance Expectations for CMSD-Sponsored Schools (pdf)
- Comprehensive Site Visit Protocol (pdf)
- Organizational Performance Framework (pdf)
- CMSD Board of Education Policy on Community School Sponsorship, Oversight and Intervention (pdf)
- CMSD Board of Education Policy on Conflict of Interest in Community School Sponsoring (pdf)
- CMSD Board of Education Policy on Renewal, Nonrenewal and Termination of Community School Sponsorship Contracts (pdf)
- Powerpoint from July 20, 2017 Meeting (pdf)
- Powerpoint from December 11, 2017 Meeting (pdf)
Renewal InformationSponsors are legally required to provide technical assistance to the schools. Technical assistance is defined in OAC 3301-102-02 as “the provision of targeted and customized supports by professionals with subject matter expertise relevant to the operations of a community school toward successfully fulfilling its obligations under applicable rules, laws and the terms of its community school contract.” Please contact Stephanie Klupinski (216-838-0179) if you need technical assistance.