"Not on Our Watch" (N.O.W.) - Bullying Prevention
"Winning Against Violent Environments" (W.A.V.E.) Peer Mediation/Conflict Resolution
Each PreK-8 and high school in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District has a NOT ON OUR WATCH (N.O.W) team which is a student-centered anti-bullying program. The goal of bullying prevention is to decrease the prevalence of bullying and promote a safe, warm environment.This can be accomplished at the elementary, middle and high school levels through the use of a prevention model. We are integrating current Humanware/SEL tools that promote social skill building, self-control/awareness, critical thinking, decision making and the acceptance of differences.What is Bullying?Although definitions of bullying vary, most agree that bullying involves:
Types of Bullying
- Imbalance of Power: people who bully use their power to control or harm, and the people being bullied may have a hard time defending themselves
- Intent to Cause Harm: actions done by accident are not bullying; the person bullying has a goal to cause harm.
- Repetition: incidents of bullying happen to the same person over and over by the same person or group.
Working with the school to stop Bullying
- Verbal: Name-calling, teasing
- Social: Spreading rumors, leaving people out on purpose, breaking up friendships
- Physical: Hitting, punching shoving
- Cyberbullying: Using the Internet, mobile phones, social media, or other digital technologies to harm others
- Know the school's policies. Ask for a copy or check the student handbook to see if our school has standards in place that will help resolve the situation.
- Open the line of communication. Call or set up an appointment to talk with your child's teacher or school counselor, principal and/or assistant principal and establish a partnership to stop the bullying.
- Get help for your child. Seek advice from your child's guidance counselor, principal, assistant principal and/or other school-based health professionals. They may be able to help your child cope with the stress of being bullied.
- Commit to making the bullying stop. Talk regularly with your child and with school staff to see if the bullying has stopped.
- Request Peer Mediation
To join N.O.W./W.A.V.E. please contact Ms. Danielle Sloan, SEL Coordinator at Danielle.Sloan@clevelandmetroschools.org
Students, if you see something, say something. Please know that your school administrators are available should you need to discuss any instance of bullying.
Kendra Holloway, Principal - Kendra.Holloway@clevelandmetroschools.org
Micah Parker, Dean of Student Engagement - Micah.Parker@clevelandmetroschools.org
Jennifer Maxwell, School Counselor - Jennifer.Maxwell@ClevelandMetroSchools.org