"Not on Our Watch" (N.O.W.) - Bullying Prevention Program & W.A.V.E. Peer Mediation Group
Each Pre-K-8 and high school in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District has a NOT ON OUR WATCH (N.O.W) team which is a student-centered anti-bullying program. The goal of the bullying prevention is to decrease prevalence of bullying and promote a safe, warm environment. This can be accomplished at the elementary, middle and high school levels through the use of a prevention model. We are integrating current Humanware/SEL tools that promote social skill building, self-control, critical thinking, decision making and the acceptance of differences.What is Bullying?Although definitions of bullying vary, most agree that bullying involves:
Types of BullyingBullying can take may forms, Examples include:
- Imbalance of Power: people who bully use their power to control or harm, and the people being bullied may have a hard time defending themselves
- Intent to Cause Harm: actions done by accident are not bullying; the person bullying has a goal to cause harm.
- Repetition: incidents of bullying happen to the same person over and over by the same person or group.
Working with the school to stop Bullying
- Verbal: name-calling, teasing
- Social: spreading rumors, leaving people out on purpose, breaking up friendships
- Physical: hitting , punching shoving
- Cyberbullying: using the Internet, mobile phones or other digital technologies to harm others
- Know the schools policies. Ask for a copy or check the student handbook to see if our school has standards in place that will help resolve the situation.
- Open the line of communication. Call or set up an appointment to talk with your child's teacher or school counselor, principal and/or assistant principal and establish a partnership to stop the bullying.
- Get help for your child. Seek advice from your child's guidance counselor, principal, assistant principal and/or other school-based health professionals. They may be able to help your child cope with the stress of being bullied.
- Commit to making the bullying stop. Talk regularly with your child and with school staff to see if the bullying has stopped. Parent Resources:
To join N.O.W. or W.A.V.E. Peer mediation group, please contact Ms. Danielle Sloan, SEL Coordinator at Danielle.Sloan@clevelandmetroschools.org
Students, if you see something, say something. Please know that your school administrators are availble should you need to discuss any instance of bullying.
Dr. Chaundria Smith, Principal - Chaundria.Smith@clevelandmetroschools.org
Micah Parker, Dean of Engagement - Micah.Parker@clevelandmetroschools.org
Donna Lee, School Counselor - Donna.Lee@ClevelandMetroSchools.org