The School of One is dedicated to producing successful graduates by offering students a differentiated, individualized digital online educational experience embedded with both the academic and social and emotional services needed to be college and career ready in the 21st Century.
To help students who seek an individualized approach to graduation in a nontraditional classroom setting, the staff at the School of One works collaboratively with each student to identify academic needs, areas of interests and personal barriers and strives to eliminate them. Teachers and students collaborate to develop a new path to academic, personal and social and emotional success.
Individualized lessons and critical learning areas are delivered in 1-1 computer assigned classes, where staff can focus on the development of core skills for each student. Our approach to getting students on track to graduation includes educating one student at a time and working with each student holistically. The School of One offers the opportunity for students to participate in a formal graduation three times a year.
The School of One promotes corrective thinking and establishes boundaries for students, with a commitment to ensuring a safe and productive work environment where they can succeed and feel supported.
The School of One students are part of an educational team approach in one of seven schools, where no more than 15 students are assigned to an educator who works with them throughout the remainder of their school career.
- High Expectations – Administrators, teachers, counselors, parents and community partners develop and implement a career or transitional pathway for each student.
- Authentic Learning – Instruction is tailored to meet individual student needs through active learning that links course content to real life. Students are able to access Post Educational Secondary Options (PESOP) through Cuyahoga Community College (TRI-C). Students have the ability to earn college credit, accessing a wide range of vocational education opportunities that may lead to a specific certification, job placement, internships, apprenticeships or job shadowing; as well as dedicated college majors that may lead to a four-year college degree or military training.
- Caring Staff – A low student-teacher ratio promotes effective interaction and development of a social identity.
- Digital Classrooms – Instructional resources and technology meet individual learner needs.
- Sense of Belonging – The School of One’s classroom/community environment excels in developing student goals and positive social interactions through social and emotional learning utilizing The Conditions for Learning Survey.
WHAT THE SCHOOL OF ONE IS NOT
We are often asked if The School of One is designed only for high at-risk students. No. The School of One has a diverse, far-reaching student body and is committed to serving all of its students.
The primary goal of The School of One is to provide a quality education for students who have not been successful in a traditional classroom setting. Students CHOOSE to achieve their goal of a high school diploma utilizing a computer-based curriculum in an individualized classroom environment.
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
The School of One provides an academic setting through innovative and supportive instruction, dedicated and well-trained educators who provide guidance, support and feedback. The School of One has an all-encompassing approach to ensure graduation through flexible approaches, specifically structured to meet the needs of each student.
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING COMPONENT
Through affiliations with FunGame Sports, The Cleveland Cavaliers, Effective Leadership Academy, Fieldstone Farm Therapeutic Riding Center and various community partners we have been able to foster our Social and Emotional Learning component, which has increased our attendance and Conditions for Learning Survey scores and decreased our suspension rate. We are committed to improving the overall quality of life for the diverse student population of The School of One and devoted to ensuring effective, culturally competent care and promoting success through innovative and holistic practices.
Intervention Activities: In-school delivery of social and emotional learning programming based on the understanding that the best learning emerges in the context of supportive relationships that make learning challenging, engaging and meaningful.
Professional Development: School of One staff receives monthly training on how to effectively utilize best practices to promote social and emotional learning and keeping abreast on current educational issues.