The Cleveland Plan
Our goal is to ensure that every child in Cleveland attends a high-quality school and that every neighborhood has a multitude of great schools from which families can choose. To do this, Cleveland must transition from a traditional, single-source school district to a new system of district and charter schools that are held to the highest standards and work in partnership to create dramatic student achievement gains for every child. The plan is built upon growing the number of excellent schools in Cleveland, regardless of provider, and giving these schools autonomy over staff and budgets in exchange for high accountability for performance. We will create an environment that empowers and values principals and teachers as professionals and makes certain that our students are held to the highest expectations.
The Cleveland Plan is grounded in two equally compelling dynamics:
First, we are driven by a fierce sense of urgency. We know that students in Cleveland must have the knowledge, skills and attributes that position them to be successful and competitive in the 21st century global economy. We know that we must re-establish public trust and confidence in our schools and reverse the district's steep drop in enrollment over the last decade. And we must position the district on a path toward financial sustainability so to avoid draconian cuts in services that result in more and more students and families leaving the district and the city.
Second, we are driven by an informed sense of hope, as Cleveland has already started this journey to transformation. The last several years have shown investments in new and redesigned schools, partnerships between the district and high-performing charter schools, differentiated investments in schools, a robust teacher support and evaluation system, and more. Cleveland already has innovative options that are achieving noteworthy results for many of our students. But it won't be enough until every student is in a great school. We must work toward a new vision of education that will inspire and convince the public that our city and our schools are worthy of the investment of their children and dollars.
It is: The right plan at the right time...
Reinventing public education...
- Empowers principals and teachers to create a school environment that is conducive to learning
- Supports high-performing schools by giving them much more autonomy over staffing, budgets, scheduling and curriculum.
- Recognizes great teachers and principals.
- Expands pre-school throughout the city.
- Embraces high-performing charter schools and shares new funding with them.
- Provides immediate action and intervention for low-performing schools which may be closed and replaced if no improvement is shown.
- Empowers schools to make staffing decisions based on performance and outcomes, and not solely on seniority.