Student Registration and Enrollment Information
CMSD is accepting Preschool through High School Choices for the 2022-23 school year. Make your selections here.If you are interested in enrolling your child for the current school year, call the Office of School Choice and Enrollment at (216) 838-3675 or use the Welcome Center Appointment Scheduler below. An enrollment specialist will help you register your child for school.
Welcome Center Appointment Scheduler
To schedule an in-person appointment with the departments listed below, please click on this link
- School Choice and Enrollment
- Special Education Enrollment
- Project ACT Enrollment
- Welcome Center
- If you need an immediate placement
- Who can register for school?
- Where can I register my child for school?
- What to bring when you register.
- Immunization Record
- Do you need help locating documents?
- My child has special needs.
- How are students assigned to schools?
- I moved. How do I change my address?
- What if I want my child to attend a school different than the home school?
- I live outside of Cleveland. May my child enroll?
- I'm not the legal guardian. How can I enroll a child?
If you need an immediate placement
Call the Office of School Choice & Enrollment at 216.838.3675.
For information about transportation options, call 216.838.4BUS(4287).
Who can register for school?
Children planning to attend Kindergarten in the Fall must be 5 years old on or before September 30th.
Kindergarten Registration begins in April. Registration for grades 1-12 begins during the summer and continues throughout the school year.
Visit the Early Childhood web pages for more information about kindergarten and prekindergarten programs.
Where can I register my child for school?
Parents/Legal Guardians may register children at any neighborhood school. See the School Directory for a list of schools, addresses and hours. Students also may be registered at the Office of School Choice & Enrollment, 1111 Superior Avenue, 216.838.3675.All FORMS regarding registration can be downloaded on the Forms page.
There are some exceptions:
- Students with special needs (IEPs – Individualized Education Plans) or those with suspected disabilities must contact the Special Education Office, 1111 Superior Avenue, 216.838.7733.
- Students who speak a language other than English or live in a household where another language is spoken must register at the Multilingual Welcome Center, 3145 West 46th, Cleveland, Ohio 44102. Telephone number 216.404.5159 or 216.404.5113.
- Families that are homeless, doubled-up with other families or in some other type of transition, should contact Project ACT, 1111 Superior Avenue, 216.838.0210.
What to bring when you register.
The following documents are required for registration:
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization Record (Baby Shots)
- Proof of Address
- Withdrawal Form, most recent Report Card, or Transcript
- Guardian’s State ID
- Guardianship/Custody Documents (if applicable)
Parents/Guardians are encouraged to print the Enrollment Form. The completed form should be taken to the registration site along with all required documents.The Registration Checklist can be downloaded on the Forms page.
When registering your child, verify that the same name is on the birth certificate and the health record.
The immunization document must be an official record. It should be initialed or signed by a healthcare professional. Acceptable documents include a doctor’s form, a “baby book” or a Head Start form.Visit the Nursing and Health Services page for a detailed list of immunizations required.
Do you need help locating documents?
Birth Certificates for children born in the Cleveland area may be secured from the Cuyahoga County Bureau of Vital Statistics, City Hall, 601 Lakeside Avenue, 216.664.2317. The cost is $25.
Your child’s doctor, clinic or previous school may have copies of Immunization Records. Students need to retake shots if immunization records cannot be located. Some clinics offer free shots. Clinics Flyer-English | Clinics Flyer-Spanish
Several forms of address verification are accepted. Some examples include mortgage or lease agreements, recent utility bills, payroll documents or recent tax statements. Contact Project ACT, 216.838.0210, if you are staying with another family and don’t have proof of address.
Copies of any documents pertaining to guardianship must be presented at the time of registration. Court documents may include divorce decrees, Juvenile Court orders or Probate Court orders.
Call the Office of School Choice & Enrollment if you have any questions about documents required for registration, 216.838.5437.
My child has special needs.
Contact the Special Education Office if your child has been identified for special education services or if you suspect that your child has a disability, 216.838.7733.
Contact Health Services or the School Nurse if your child has health-related or medical needs.
Students who speak a language other than English or live in a household where another language is spoken must register at the Thomas Jefferson International Newcomers Welcome Center, 3145 West 46th, Cleveland, Ohio 44102. Call 216.404.5159 or 216.404.5113.
How are students assigned to schools?It is CMSD's goal to assign students based on the school preference of the parent/legal guardian. All parents/legal guardians are encouraged to actively choose the school their students will attend. However, some assignments will be based on the closest school to the parent/legal guardian's address where the student can receive their required educational services. In situations where the requested school is at capacity and classrooms at the requested school has no space for additional students, the student will be assigned parent/guardian's next choice school.The application process begins in early spring. Parents may submit choices by visiting the School Choice Portal at ChooseCMSD.org or by contacting the School Choice and Enrollment Office at 216.838.3675.
I moved. How do I change my address?
The parent/legal guardian may take proof of a new address to the current school. Acceptable documents include mortgage or lease agreements, recent utility bills, payroll documents or recent tax statements.
What if I want my child to attend a school different than the home school?
The Cleveland Metropolitan School District has an open enrollment policy that allows families apply for other schools.
The application process begins in early spring. Parents may submit choices by visiting the Student Registration at ChooseCMSD.org or by contacting Student Assignments at 216.838.3675.
Transfers are granted if space is available at the requested school and grade level. Students will be assigned by random selection (lottery) if there are more applicants than seats.
In most cases, students granted open enrollment transfers do not receive transportation.
I live outside of Cleveland. May my child enroll?
Parents who live outside the boundaries of the district may apply for an Interdistrict Open Enrollment Transfer (K-12). These requests will be granted if space is available at the requested school and grade level. Parents will not be charged tuition. Transportation will not be available for these transfers.
I'm not the legal guardian. How can I enroll a child?
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances where a child is living with someone who is not the legal guardian. Here are some examples:
- If the Department of Children and Family Services has custody, the social worker or foster parent should have journal entries or emergency custody papers that verify the custody arrangements.
- If children are living with grandparents, the grandparents may obtain a Grandparent Caregiver Affidavit or a Grandparent Power of Attorney These documents must be filed with Juvenile Court to secure temporary custody.
- If a parent/legal guardian is hospitalized, incarcerated or in rehabilitation, Project ACT may be able to assist the family.