CMSD and Charter School Sponsorship
One of the ways CMSD works with high-quality charter schools is as a charter school sponsor, also known as authorizer. Charter school sponsors enter into a contract with the governing board of charter schools. The contract outlines the obligations of both parties.
Sponsors have legal obligations to provide sufficient technical assistance and oversight and monitoring. Sponsors must ensure that the schools meet all legally mandated fiscal, academic, and operational requirements.
CMSD currently sponsors 11 charter schools. Nine of these are part of the Breakthrough Schools Network. CMSD also sponsors Stonebrook Montessori and Promise Academy, a dropout recovery school.
- For schools seeking Sponsorship
- 2018-19 Application Kit for Community Schools (pdf)
- Budget for application (xls)
- 2018-19 Reviewer Kit for Charter School Applications (pdf)
- For schools seeking renewal
Resources for Sponsored Schools
Information and Resources for CMSD-Sponsored Schools
- Understanding the Roles and Responsibilities of Sponsors and Schools (pdf) - OACSA
- Performance Expectations for CMSD-Sponsored Schools (pdf)
- Comprehensive Site Visit Protocol (pdf)
- Organizational Performance Framework (pdf)
- CMSD Board of Education Policy on Community School Sponsorship, Oversight and Intervention (pdf)
- CMSD Board of Education Policy on Conflict of Interest in Community School Sponsoring (pdf)
- CMSD Board of Education Policy on Renewal, Nonrenewal and Termination of Community School Sponsorship Contracts (pdf)
- Powerpoint from July 20, 2017 Meeting (pdf)
- Powerpoint from December 11, 2017 Meeting (pdf)