The goal of The Cleveland Plan for transforming Cleveland schools is to ensure every child in Cleveland attends a high-quality school. The Cleveland Plan supports high-performing schools by giving principals and teachers more autonomy over curriculum. The RSBD supports this effort by providing a portfolio of high-quality sexual health curricula, so that schools can select the curriculum that best supports the needs of their students.
The following is a list of RSBD approved curricula:
All About Life
The goal of the All About Life curriculum is to prepare young people to care about themselves, their families and their community. All About Life emphasizes the development of social skills, so that students can interact in healthy ways with others.
All About Life lessons promote the following skills development:
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal relationship skills
- Personal responsibility
- Problem solving
- Personal safety
Grades 4 -12
F.L.A.S.H. (Family Life and Sexual Health)
F.L.A.S.H. is a widely used comprehensive sexual health education curriculum designed to prevent teen pregnancy, STDs, and sexual violence. It includes a strong family-involvement component to further increase protective factors that support students in remaining abstinent, using birth control and condoms, and respecting others’ decisions not to have sex.
The curriculum supports and respects diverse community values through its inclusive design, its use of the Values Question Protocol, and through the design of the Family Homework, which encourages discussion about values. F.L.A.S.H. is an inclusive curriculum, including examples and activities that resonate with youth from a variety of geographical regions, racial identities and sexual orientations. It is highly interactive and is respectful of students with a variety of sexual experiences.
F.L.A.S.H. lessons prepare students to:
- Abstain from sex
- Navigate puberty
- Use condoms and birth control when they do have sex
- Confirm consent before engaging in sexual activity
- Communicate with their families about sexual health
- Make decisions that minimize risk to their sexual health
- Seek medical care to take care of their reproductive health
Making Proud Choices!
Making Proud Choices! A Safer Sex Approach to STDs, Teen Pregnancy and HIV Prevention is an evidence-based curriculum which provides young adolescents with the knowledge, confidence and skills necessary to reduce their risk of STDs, HIV and pregnancy by abstaining from sex or using condoms if they choose to have sex.
The goal of Making Proud Choices! is to empower young adolescents to change their behavior in ways that will reduce their risk of becoming infected with HIV and other STDs and their risk for pregnancy. The curriculum works by instilling a sense of pride and responsibility among its participants, providing them with the knowledge and skills they need and motivating them to make a difference in their lives.
- Increase knowledge about prevention of HIV, STDs and pregnancy
- Reinforce positive attitudes and beliefs about condom use
- Increase participants' confidence in their ability to negotiate safer sex and use condoms correctly.
Get Real is an evidenced-based middle and high school curriculum designed to delay sex among students and to increase correct and consistent use of protection methods when they do become sexually active. Get Real focuses on social and emotional skills as a key component in making responsible and healthy decisions.
As a result of participating in the Get Real program, students will be able to:
- Name reasons abstinence is the healthiest choice for youth their age
- Describe consequences of sexual activity and ways to reduce the risk of negative consequences
- Apply a decision-making model to real-life situations
- Demonstrate assertive communication and refusal skills for delaying sexual intercourse and avoiding unprotected sexual activity
- Connect self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship skills to responsible decision making
- Increase their opportunities for conversations with their parents and other caring adults about personal, family and community beliefs about sexual health.
Safer Choices is an evidence-based STD, HIV and teen pregnancy prevention program for high school students. Safer Choicesaims to reduce the frequency of unprotected sex among high school students by reducing the number of sexually active students and increasing condom use among students who are sexually active. It seeks to motivate behavioral change by increasing students’ knowledge about HIV and STDs as well as promote more positive norms and attitudes toward abstinence and condom use.
- Increase students' knowledge about HIV and other STDs
- Promote more positive attitudes and peer norms toward abstinence and condom use
- Increase students' belief in their ability to refuse sex or unprotected sex, use a condom, and communicate about safer sexual practices
- Decrease perceived barriers to condom use
- Align students' perceptions of risk for HIV and other STDs based on their risk behaviors
- Increase communication with parents
Rights, Respect and Responsibility (3Rs)
Rights, Respect and Responsibility is an evidence-informed curriculum that promotes learning about growth and development, good communication and safety in relationships at an early age to lay a foundation thatsupportshealthy relationships and behaviors throughout a person’s lifetime.
The 3Rs curriculum is inclusive of learners of all genders and sexual orientations and is comprised of lessons on a wide range of topics including:
- Growth and Development
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Puberty and Adolescent Development
- Pregnancy and Reproduction
- Healthy Relationships
- Personal Safety