Principal Preparation Program
The purpose of the Principal Preparation Program will be to provide intense, targeted leadership development for our currently employed, school based Assistant Principals to prepare them for the role of a Principal in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
1) Three years of full time teaching experience.
2) Current Assistant Principal with two or more years of experience.
3) Current Principal and Network Support Leader recommendation.
4) Successful completion of a competitive application and interview process.
All aspects of the program are aligned to the CMSD Leadership Performance Standards Matrix
CMSD Leadership Performance Standards
Standard 1: Personal Behavior
Standard 2: Resilience
Standard 3: Communication
Standard 4: Equitable Practice
Standard 5: Student Performance
Standard 6: Strategic & Situational Problem Solving
Standard 7: Climate & Culture
Standard 8: Personal & Professional Learning
Standard 9: Supervision of non-instructional staff
Standard 10: Time/Task/Project Management
Principal Preparation Program members and Mentors also complete mid-year and summative evaluations based on candidates’ progress and readiness for a Principal position.
Independent and small group reading activities are designed to develop and enhance leadership skills and create a cohort of working peers who share experiences and best practices.
Participants are required to attend all monthly cohort sessions during Residency. In-class and independent course topics are presented by experienced District specialists and school-based administrators.
All Principal Preparation Program participants interact with an experienced Principal Mentor for learning, feedback, coaching, interview experiences and support.
- Program onboarding-Summer orientation meetings (2 days)
- Yearlong Residency w/ bi-weekly sessions
- 6-8 participants
- Journal Assignments
- Progress Monitoring
- Change Project
- Teacher Observations
- Mid-Year Presentation
- Facilitating Adult Learning / PTM
- Observations & Feedback
Program Completion Expectations
- Mastery of job-embedded competencies aligned to the CMSD Leadership Performance Standards
- Timely submission of all coursework at a mastery level
- Successful mid-year presentation
- Recommendation of Principal Mentor, and Principal Preparation Program Staff
Areas of focus include but are not limited to:
- CMSD Strategic Priorities: Profile of a Graduate, Equity & Inclusion, Blended Learning, Performance Matters
- Leadership Stance and Resilience
- Time Management
- Reflection & Self-Assessment
- Equity & Inclusion
- Data Informed Decision-Making
- Post-pandemic vision: Leading in person & remote instruction
- Complex Academic Tasks
- Instruction: Teacher Effectiveness
- Change Process
- Cultivating and Sustaining Relationships w/ Staff, CTU Chair & Central Office Personnel
- Leveraging the Administrative Team
- Family & Community Engagement
- Coaching Teachers
- Hard Conversations
DisclaimerPrincipal Preparation Program
- Participation in the Principal Preparation Program does not guarantee a school leader position.
- Compensation is not provided for participation in the program.
Contact InformationTianna FergusonEducator: Principal CoachEast Professional Development Center1349 East 79th StreetCleveland, Ohio 44103216-838-6991 - Office