Assistant Principal Preparation Program
The purpose of the Assistant Principal Preparation Program will be to provide targeted leadership development for our currently employed, school-based Teachers, Model Lead Teachers and Curriculum Instructional Specialists to prepare them for the role of an Assistant Principal in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
1) Two years of full time teaching experience.
2) Must be in a full-time Teaching position, Model Lead Teacher or Curriculum Instructional Specialist positions in CMSD with a current 5-year teaching certificate.
3) Two years of successful summative teaching evaluations and the recommendation/support of current school Principal.
4) Passing a competitive application and interview process.
All aspects of the program are aligned to the CMSD Leadership Performance Standards Matrix
CMSD Leadership Performance Standards
Standard 1: Personal Behavior
Standard 2: Resilience
Standard 3: Communication
Standard 4: Equitable Practice
Standard 5: Student Performance
Standard 6: Strategic & Situational Problem Solving
Standard 7: Climate & Culture
Standard 8: Personal & Professional Learning
Standard 9: Supervision of non-instructional staff
Standard 10: Time/Task/Project Management
Assistant Principal Preparation Program Cohort members and Assistant Principal Preparation team members complete end of the year evaluations based on candidates’ progress and readiness for an Assistant Principal position.
Independent and small group reading activities are designed to develop and enhance leadership skills and create a cohort of working peers who share experiences and best practices.
Participants are required to attend all monthly 1-day meetings. In-class and independent course topics are presented by experienced District specialists and school-based administrators.
All Assistant Principal Program participants interact in a Professional Learning Community with an experienced Administrative Mentor for shadowing experiences, feedback, practice interviews and support.
CMSD is Investing in Educators
- Investing in teacher/educator-led communities of practice, using in-person and digital synchronous and asynchronous technologies
- Investing in Innovative Learning Accelerator projects which serve as an opportunity to harvest and learn the great innovations from our teachers and other educators
- Investing in Teacher Leaders in Language Arts and Mathematics Instruction
- Investing in School-based and District-based leadership supports
- launching Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Training, including a customized module for Cleveland and a post-training action planning module
- Program onboarding-Summer orientation meetings (2 days)
- Yearlong Residency @ current school site
- Monthly 1-day sessions
- Journal Assignments
- Progress Monitoring
- Teacher Observations
- Facilitating Adult Learning
- Observations & Feedback
- End of year exit presentation
Program Completion Expectations
- Mastery of job-embedded competencies aligned to the CMSD Leadership Performance Standards
- Timely submission of all coursework at a mastery level
- Successful exit presentation and interview
- Recommendation of site Principal and Assistant Principal Preparation Program staff
Areas of focus include but are not limited to:
- CMSD Strategic Priorities: Profile of a Graduate, Equity & Inclusion, Blended Learning, Performance Matters
- Post-pandemic vision: Leading in person & remote instruction
- Coaching Teachers: High Impact Feedback and Listening
- PBIS and Discipline Management Policies and Procedures
- Evaluation Systems: TDES, CRESS, PD&E
- Cultivating and Sustaining Relationships (working with your staff, CTU Chair & Central Office personnel)
- SPED and 504 Guidelines and Procedures
- Data Informed Decision-Making
- Budget & Finance
- Parent & Community Engagement
- Time Management/Prioritizing
- Interviewing Tips and Practice
DisclaimerAssistant Principal Preparation Program
- Participation in the Assistant Principal Preparation Program does not guarantee a school leader Assistant Principal position.
- Compensation is not provided for participation in the program.
Contact InformationTianna FergusonEducator: Principal CoachEast Professional Development Center1349 East 79th StreetCleveland, Ohio 44103216-838-6991 - Office