The following three home language survey questions have been approved by the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) in their compliance work under Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the Equal Educational Opportunities Act of 1974. Asking these three questions, and then testing a student whose parent or guardian responded to one or more of these three questions with a language other than English, is considered minimally compliant under the law.
1) What is the primary language used in the home, regardless of the language spoken by the student?2) What is the language most often spoken by the student?3) What is the language that the student first acquired?During the enrollment process English Learners (EL's) will take an English language assessment in the areas of Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking and Comprehension to determine programmatic eligibility and meet student needs.
Documents Needed for Enrollment:
- Proof of Birth (Birth Certificate, Green Card, Passport, I-94 Card)
- Proof of Address (Rent Receipt, Lease, recent utility Bill, Public Agency, and Affidavit)
- Affidavit only used if there is not proof of address
- Previous School Records
- Immunization Records (TB test and the results)
- Parent / Caregiver ID
- Any Special Education documents (if needed)
Once the parent/caregiver has spoken to one of the Registration Specialists, the documents must be gathered and sent in. Enrollment documents may be sent in via e-mail or in-person. Enrollment documents must be sent to MultilingualRegistration@ClevelandMetroSchools.org
You may reach the Multilingual Assessment Center at (216) 838-0140 for additional enrollment information. To enroll your child, we welcome walk-ins or by appointment.These videos will provide an orientation to Multilingual Services in CMSD:
- ENGLISH: Multilingual Education Orientation Video
- ESPAÑOL: Vídeo de Orientación sobre Educación Multilingüe
- SWAHILI: Video ya mwelekeo wa elimu kwa LUGHA NYINGI
- ARABIC: فيديو توجيهي للتعليم متعدد اللغات