• Special Education Main Number
    1111 Superior Ave E, 2nd Floor
    Cleveland, OH 44114

    What services do all CMSD schools provide for children with disabilities?

    All CMSD schools provide a full continuum of services for students with mild to moderate learning and behavioral issues. Depending on the child’s needs, he or she may receive instruction in the regular education classroom with accommodations and supports, or in a small-group resource room setting for some subjects, or in a single classroom environment for all core subjects. The goal is to provide students with disabilities with access to the general education curriculum and to prepare them for college and careers. All CMSD schools have access to speech/language pathology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, audiology, and orientation/mobility services.

    CMSD also offers specialized classes within schools in every region of the city for specific and/or significant needs.

    Will CMSD provide transportation to the school of my choice for my child with a disability?

    If an IEP team determines that a student with special needs is eligible for transportation as a related service, the District will transport the student to the school nearest to his/her home that can provide the appropriate services as outlined in his/her IEP. A family may choose a program in a school other than the one that is nearest to their home; however, the District may not be able to provide transportation services.

    If high school students live more than a half-mile from school, CMSD helps by paying for transportation through the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority for all students, including those with disabilities who may not have transportation as a related service in their IEPs.

    How do I enroll my child with a disability in a CMSD school?

    If your child is not currently attending a CMSD school, visit the special education department at 1111 Superior Avenue East. You must bring the following documentation to complete the enrollment process:

    • Proof of identity

    • Proof of address

    • Birth certificate

    • Immunization record

    • Special education paperwork, including Evaluation Team Report (ETR) and most current Individualized Education Plan (IEP)

    What do I do if I need a copy of my child’s ETR or IEP?

    Come to 1111 Superior Avenue East and ask for the Records Retention Clerk for special education.

    What do I do to request an IEP meeting for my child?

    You may request an IEP review at any time by contacting your child’s case manager or principal at the school he/she currently attends.

    How do I request an evaluation for my child?

    You may make a request in writing to your school’s principal stating your concerns about your child’s progress. The school will review all relevant information and schedule a meeting with you within 30 days of your request. You may also provide a written request to the Office of Psychological Services at 1349 East 79th St, Cleveland, Oh 44103.

    My student has special needs but is also an English language learner. Where do I go first to enroll him/her?

    Please go first to the Multilingual/Multicultural Education Office at Thomas Jefferson School. The Multilingual/Multicultural Office will work with the Special Education Department to identify the appropriate school placement for your child. Their contact number is 216.404.5159.

    My student has special needs, and we are homeless. Where do I go first to enroll him/her?

    Please go first to the Project ACT office at 1111 Superior Avenue East. Project ACT will work with the Special Education Department to identify the appropriate school placement for your child. Their contact number is 216.838.0242 and 216.838.0243.

    I have more than one child. Not all of my children qualify for special education services. Where do I go first to enroll them?

    The Special Education Department will enroll all of your children in our offices at 1111 Superior Avenue East. Please bring all relevant paperwork for each child when you enroll.

    Do you have Pre-K special education services?

    Yes the Special Education Preschool Program is for children between 3 and 5 years old (and not yet compulsory school age) that demonstrate a disability or exhibit significant delays.