Enrollment Information for Special Education

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    How do I enroll or reenroll my child with a disability in a CMSD school?

    If your child is not currently attending a CMSD school, and is in grades K-12, please call 216-838-7733 to schedule an appointment.  You must be able to provide the following documentation to complete the enrollment process:

    • Proof of identity

    • Proof of address

    • Birth certificate

    • Immunization record

    • Special education paperwork, including Evaluation Team Report (ETR) and most current Individualized Education Plan (IEP).  Please bring signed copies whenever possible.

    All in-person enrollment appointments will take place at 1111 Superior Avenue East.  If you have questions about what to bring, please call us at 216.838.7733.


    My student has special needs but is also an English language learner. Where do I go first to enroll him/her?

    Please enroll through the Multilingual Multicultural Education Office at Thomas Jefferson School. The enrollment team will work with the Special Education Department to identify the appropriate school placement for your child.  Please click here for enrollment information.


    My student has special needs, and we are homeless. Where do I go first to enroll him/her?

    Please go first to the Project ACT office at 1111 Superior Avenue East. Project ACT will work with the Special Education Department to identify the appropriate school placement for your child. Their contact numbers are 216.838.0242 and 216.838.0243.  Please click here for more information on Project ACT.


    I have more than one child. Not all of my children qualify for special education services. Where do I go first to enroll them?

    The Special Education Department will enroll all of your children in our offices at 1111 Superior Avenue East. Please bring all relevant paperwork for each child when you enroll.


    Do you have Pre-K special education services?

    Yes, the Special Education Preschool Program is for children between 3 and 5 years old (and not yet compulsory school age) that demonstrate a disability or exhibit significant delays.  Preschool Special Education offices are located at East Professional Center.  If your child already has a disability and you wish to enroll them in CMSD preschool special education, please call 216.838.1963 to set up an appointment.  If your child is not yet enrolled in PreK but you would like them to be evaluated for special education, please call 216.838.1965.


    What services do all CMSD schools provide for children with disabilities?

    The purpose of special education and the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is to provide students with disabilities with access to the general education curriculum to the greatest extent possible, while also meeting their unique needs.  To maximize school choice options for all families, all CMSD schools provide a continuum of services for students.  Depending on the decision of the IEP team and based on the unique needs of the child, the student may receive all instruction in the regular education classroom with accommodations and supports, or in a small-group resource room setting for part of the day, or in a single classroom environment for all core subjects.  All CMSD schools have access to the related services that are outlined on IEPs.

    CMSD also offers specialized classes within schools in every region of the city for specific and/or significant needs.  Information on the location and availability of these classes/programs is available by calling our Special Education main line at 216.838.7733.


    Will CMSD provide transportation to the school of my choice for my child with a disability?

    If an IEP team determines that a student with special needs is eligible for transportation as a related service, the District will transport the student to the school nearest to his/her home that can provide the appropriate services as outlined in his/her IEP. A family may choose a program in a school other than the one that is nearest to their home; however, the District may not be able to provide transportation services.

    If high school students live more than one mile from school, CMSD helps by paying for transportation through the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority for all students, including those with disabilities who may not have transportation as a related service in their IEPs.

    More information on transportation can be found by clicking here.


    What do I do if I need a copy of my child’s ETR or IEP?

    Click here for more information.


    What do I do to request an IEP meeting for my child?

    You may request an IEP review at any time by contacting your child’s case manager (Intervention Specialist) or principal at the school he/she currently attends.

    More information can be found on our Parents page.


    My child already attends a CMSD school.  How do I request an evaluation for my child?

    You may make a request in writing to your school’s principal stating your concerns about your child’s progress. The school will review all relevant information and schedule a meeting with you within 30 days of your request. You may also provide a written request to the Office of Psychological Services at 1349 East 79th St, Cleveland, OH 44109.

    More information can be found on our Parents page.