TELEPHONE & VOICEMAIL GREETINGS
OFFICE/SCHOOL TELEPHONE PROTOCOLS & REQUIREMENTS
• As a general rule, all phones should be answered within three rings and not be answered by an automated phone system during normal business hours.
• The voicemail greeting for all main numbers should be an "after hours" greeting that clearly states when callers can expect to reach a helpful person at that line. All voicemail greetings should include the following information:
o Department/Office hours of operation
o Options for caller (e.g., leave a message, website address, information about important services available after normal business hours);
o An alternative number where someone can assist until you return.
• All calls should be returned within 24 hours or the next business day.
SAMPLE VOICE MAIL MESSAGE FOR ALL MAIN LINES IN SCHOOLS and DEPARTMENTS.
Thank you for contacting the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. You have reached the voicemail box of the ________School/Department. Our normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please leave your name, number and a brief message and someone will return your call within 24 hours. [Additional
Option (1): For additional information about our school/department, visit ClevelandMetroSchools.org].
Option (2): If your call is urgent and cannot wait for a return call, call/text (Name/Title) at (Phone).
Thank you for calling (Name of School or Department)
STANDARD VOICEMAIL MESSAGE FOR ALL OTHER CMSD PHONES:
• Every CMSD desk telephone and cell phone must be equipped with a voicemail greeting that is professional and concise and that conveys relevant and useful information to the caller.
• All desk/cell phone voice mail greetings should include:
o Name of employee
o Title of employee
o Telephone number to dial for immediate assistance.
o Statement indicating that calls will be returned within 24 hours or the next business day.
MANDATORY ‘OUT OF OFFICE’ VOICEMAIL GREETING FOR ALL EMPLOYEES:
• Every employee who will be out of the office for more than two business days must:
o Forward all calls to an employee in the office.
o Record an extended absence greeting. This greeting should outline the expected date of return and an alternative contact person who can assist.
Sample Extended Absence Message: Thank you for contacting the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. You've reached the voicemail box of [State your name] in the [Identify your office/school.] Currently, I am on leave and will return to the office on [expected date of return]. If you wish to leave a message, please leave your name, number and a brief message, and I will call you when I return. If you need immediate assistance, please call [state the name of an alternate point of contact]. Again, thank you for calling. Have a great day. INSTRUCTIONS FOR RECORDING VOICEMAIL MESSAGES
FOR ONLINE INSTRUCTIONS FOR SETTING UP VOICEMAIL MESSAGE GO HERE: https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/Page/3117